Friday, September 9, 2011

Spicy Pork Burgers and Chard with White Beans

I am so far behind in blogging that I have actually made both of these recipes (or something resembling them) twice now! Disgraceful!

The pork recipe as follows is how I made it the first time-- the second I didn't really pay attention to the amounts of each spice and herb I was throwing in, though it had pretty much the same end result. They are flavorful and have a little kick but are not overtly spicy (as in, you could definitely take add some cayenne or up the amount of red pepper flakes if so desired). The fennel and sage give the burgers the distinct Italian sausage flavor that is so good. In the future, I might try this with a mixture of pork and turkey, or even just ground turkey to make an even leaner burger.



Burgers:
1 lb ground pork
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp ground sage
salt and pepper to taste
provolone cheese

Mix all ingredients (except cheese, duh), and form into patties (3-4). Grill 5 minutes on each side, throwing the provolone on with a minute to go so it gets nice and melty. Top with lettuce and tomato (I have also topped it with garlic seared chard which was delicious) and put on a toasted sesame bun. Enjoy!



Chard

1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 TBSP olive oil (I used basil oil because I have some and why not)
a big bunch of swiss chard, diced
two tomatoes, diced and salted
1 tsp Italian-ish seasoning blend. I used "Bouquet Garni" by Penzey's
2 tsp dried parsley
S&P
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed. I wanted to use cannellini but all the store had was northern

Sautee onion and garlic in EVOO until translucent. Add chard and toss to coat with the now infused oil and yummy onions and let wilt. Add seasonings-- especially salt to draw some moisture out. Then, add diced tomatoes and the beans. As soon as it's warm throughout, stuff your face with this superfood!

The second time I made this recipe I actually used canned crushed tomatoes and turned it into a pasta sauce for some angel hair pasta. It was delicious. I love the flavor and texture combinations-- sweet tomatoes, creamy beans, crisp and bitter chard. And you can eat this guilt free because of all the nutrients that are jam-packed into every bite. Tim even asked for seconds! On a vegetarian dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment