Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday fine dining

My favorite way to survive a work week is my Monday evening yoga class. It is relaxing, rejuvenating, and helps me lose the "ugh... Monday" feeling and face the week ahead. And after I treat my body so nicely for an hour, I feel like it is required to feed it something healthy and delicious.

On tonight's menu is chicken breast on a bed of sauteed fennel with a side of corn (just because it was in my freezer). I made the chicken the easiest way I know how-- rub it with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper, and pop it in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I add liquid, turn the heat off, and let the chicken stay in the oven for another 10 or so minutes. Tonight I also added tarragon (a licorice flavor like fennel) and orange zest-- and my liquid was some OJ and chicken broth, though white wine or stock or anything would do.

While the chicken was roasting, I put one TBSP of butter in a little sautee pan and swirled it til it melted. Then I added one diced up shallot and let it sautee for just about a minute before I added some sliced fennel. I tossed it around to coat it in the buttery goodness, and then added a few fennel fronds, some salt and pepper, and about a teaspoon of orange zest. I put the burner on low and just stirred it every few minutes.

The corn was just frozen so I put it in the micro with a bit of water and a TBSP of olive oil and a dash of salt (always necessary when using olive oil-- it makes the flavor pop!

The meal got low marks in terms of color. Everything was white! I should have made a green veggie at least. But, it tasted good. The fennel especially-- I adore fennel  any which way so this is no surprise. The chicken breast was huge so I am saving the leftovers for chicken salad tomorrow!

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment