Saturday, February 5, 2011

The opposite of a night on the town

I was pretty worthless today-- I woke up with a tummy ache and never really made it off of my couch. By dinner tie I realized I was starving but a trip to the store seemed out of the question. So (with some help from my honey who picked up a bag of red potatoes on his way over) I just through something together with some goodies from my freezer: Herb crusted pork tenderloin with roasted potatoes (roasted in the pan drippings I might add) and a side of creamed (er... 2% milked spinach).

Pork and Potatoes

Pork tenderloin is my all time favorite dish to prepare. It's easy, it's delicious, it's healthy-- what's not to love? I have honestly made it every way imaginable. On the grill, in the oven, marinated in just about everything. Tonight I opted for a dry rub-- mostly a mix of sage and thyme with some garlic powder, sea salt, and course black pepper mixed in. I plopped it in a pan surrounded it with sliced potatoes and chopped onion, drizzled it with olive oil, and put it in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes. After the pork was out of the oven and resting, I made the spinach. Just one box of frozen spinach, a few tablespoons of butter, about a quarter cup of 2% milk and a few teaspoons of nutmeg. Right before serving I sprinkled some romano cheese over the top.
Spinach

As usual, the pork was great. Letting it rest for 5-10 minutes after coming out of the oven (or off the grill) is really the key step to juicy delicious pork. The potatoes tonight were a-mazing. I haven't ever roasted them in the same pan as the pork before, and they absorbed the salty rich flavor of the tenderloin. I was also really surprised with how creamy the not-actually-creamed spinach was!

The recipe-free meal got good marks all around, and in fact, I may go dig into the leftovers any minute... until then, it's back to my comfy couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment