Wednesday, February 23, 2011

soup for the sicky-poo

I've got a sick honey. And even though he's taken care of himself just fine for 29 years, I am convinced that if I don't make him soup and bring him orange juice that he will die. Also I am going to Florida tomorrow and feel guilty that I will be lounging on the beach while he is coughing on his couch.

So, like a good girlfriend, I made him some soup. It was mostly a "clean out my fridge/freezer" kind of soup and the only thing I needed from the store was chicken stock.

I did a base of onion and celery, then added salt, pepper, chicken stock and a bunch of chopped up chicken breast meat. After that was cooked through I added carrots and red potatoes and other seasonings (bay leaf, two shakes of cayenne, a bunch of basil). Right before I took it off the stove I added a crap load of spinach and a can of northern beans. One thing I did today that was different from usual was I added lemon zest and a bit of lemon juice (I don't remember where in the timeline I did this, but it was done). I got the idea from Giada at Home (great show) and thought I'd try it out.

Heading out with a big soup urn shortly-- I'm hoping that this hearty, healthy, and flavorful soup will help cure my sicky-poo!

No comments:

Post a Comment