Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Balsamic Honey Rosemary Pork Chops, Hasselback Potatoes, and Creamed Chard

Balsamic Honey Rosemary Marinade:
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 TBSP honey
- 2 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
- tiny sprinkle of salt

Put marinade in a zip lock with the pork chops and massage around for a few minutes. Then refrigerate for at least two hours, but as long as overnight if you really want (I did mine in the morning before work so it was about 8 hours).

The pork chops developed a fantastic carmelization on the grill thanks to the honey, and the balsamic helped to tenderize the meat. I *loved* these pork chops, and ended up eating two (because sometimes I am a pork chop). Tim just thought they were "okay", but I might keep this marinade in the rotation.

Hasselback Potatoes
I saw this crazy delicious looking photo on serious eats and just had to make them myself. I sliced the potatoes thinly, stopping about a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the potato. Then I rubbed the potatoes with smart balance oil and then rubbed a combo of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and dried parsley-- making sure to get some of the yumminess in between all the slices! Then you bake for 45 minutes at 375 (give or take depending on the size of the taters.)

These potatoes look incredible, but their taste doesn't quite match up. I mean, they were good, but not heaven-sent amazing.

Creamed Chard
I take great pride in saying that the swiss chard I used was from my garden!! I didn't really follow a recipe here, but just threw together things I had. First, I sauteed a bit of red onion (yellow would have been better)  in some olive oil, and then I threw i the chard stems until they were softened. Then, I added the chard leaves (that I cut into strips) and continued to sautee. When everything was nice and soft, I just poured a teeny bit of cream (usually I just use milk, but I had cream leftover from baking for Tim's birthday) over the top and stirred to combine. This was yummy, but the red onions discolored the cream so it looked kinda gray.... not very appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment