Monday, June 13, 2011

Watermelon Margaritas-- Take Two!

Did anyone ever see Brian Boitano's show on the Food Network? It was called What Would Brian Boitano Make? and it was bleep-ing hilarious. I only saw two episodes but they are ingrained in my mind as some of the funniest cooking television I've ever seen. First of all, how is it fair that an Olympic medalist has talents other than figure skating? Secondly, why aren't there more celebrity shows like this" You know, where they actually have a talent and are teaching us something! (HGTV has the Vanilla Ice one, so they are doing their part....)


I haven't seen this fantabulous (I'm pretty sure he'd approve of this description) in a couple years, but his recipes are archived on www.foodnetwork.com so I decided to take a gander through them. When I saw this recipe for watermelon margaritas I had mixed feelings. They sounded great, but after such a lousy experience last time I was nervous to waste more expensive booze and delicious watermelon (which I brought home from my mom's Memorial Day picnic. Thanks to friends Susie and Mel for sharing-- it was great!)

Anyway, these margaritas were much better than my last go-round... I could actually taste watermelon, and the tequila was very smooth. But I really need to invest in a mesh sieve so it has less of a "smoothie" texture. I tried to press it through a colander with very small holes instead and it didn't really do the trick. I still liked mine, but I'm not convinced Tim loved it since he nursed it for about three hours. But, he did finish it, so that is what counts.

Oh, and I almost forgot! For the ice cubes, I froze a couple of cubes of watermelon. This was really a cute idea and great in theory, but in practice it just helped add to the slightly thick texture. I might do this again for a sangria or something... along with frozen grapes. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment