Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Parsley, Pistachio, and Parmesan Pesto

As much as I love alliteration, this "perfect" masterpiece was a total accident, I swear! Yesterday I whipped up this pesto mostly out of boredom, but partly out of a craving. I spread some on a piece of toast for a snack of crostini yesterday afternoon, and tonight I'm going to use it with my dinner!

My basil plant is looking a little thin right now so I decided to leave it alone and instead use up the parsley I have in my fridge. In true Katy style, I didn't keep track of amounts, but I will do my best to remember.

Terrible photo. You know what pesto looks like, though, so oh well.


Parsley Pistachio and Parmesan Pesto
  • Half a bunch of parsley; ripped leaves off (a few stems made it in, but that's fine)
  • 3 or 4 garlic cloves, peeled
  • Half of this little package of pistachios that I had. I'd say two palm-fulls? 
  • a couple TBSP of shredded parmesan
  • 2 TBSP warm water
  • olive oil
  • lemon zest (half a lemon's worth
  • salt and pepper
Put all ingredients (except for oil and water) into food processor. Pulse until smooth and then add water and oil until it resembles pesto. Obviously change amounts, or ingredients to your taste.  This pesto is sharper than a basil/pine nut pesto. The parsley gives it an almost spicy bitter flavor that I am loving. The pistachios also give it a grittier texture than pine nuts would in a typical pesto. I am a fan, and I can't wait to try other pestos soon (arugula, cilantro, pecan.... the options are endless!)

No comments:

Post a Comment