Monday, April 18, 2011

poached eggs on toast

Working from home sometime has its benefits. Forgoing microwaveable meals or over-priced and likely unhealthy sandwiches on the go is probably one of the best!

Mondays I always try to start my week off right with some delicious high protein and high fiber meals. Today's lunch (which resembles a breakfast) was no exception.



Poached eggs on toast -- serves one:
  • two eggs (I use farm fresh organic because they are so much richer and creamier, but any old egg will do)
  • two slices crusty whole grain bread (mine is a take-and-bake batard from the grocery store)
  • ~8 leaves baby spinach
  • 1 TBSP parmesan
  • black pepper
  • 2 basil leaves for garnish
I don't have a poaching pan, so I just use a large skillet; fill it about 3/4 of the way up with water and bring to a boil. When the water starts simmering, pop the bread in the toaster (I do this first so they finish before the eggs). As soon as the water boils, crack the eggs right into the water. Obviously, the goal is for the egg to stay relatively in one piece, this sometimes works and sometimes does not. One of mine was fine, and the other practically exploded. Oh well, it still tasted good. Boil the eggs to your desired consistency. I don't like my yolks super runny so I let mine go until a healthy skin is formed over the yolk, and I help it out by spooning the boiling water over the top.

While they are cooking, get the toast out of the toaster, put some spinach leaves on each. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon, making sure that you allow excess water to drop back into the pan, and place the egg on top of the spinach. Crack some black pepper over the top, and sprinkle with parmesan. I added a basil leaf for garnish, but it added a lot of flavor too.

This is a very quick and easy meal that is filling (thanks to the fiber and the protein) but light. Perfect way to energize me for my Monday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment